I often get requests from my friends to forward them clips/youtube videos worth watching, or for getting, correct word would be ‘extracting‘ ideas from these clips for their day to day work, especially if they are working in the Digital Media & Communications industries. Thus, decided putting across a list of some of the most powerful Apple adverts in the history of Advertising
1. 1984: This is the full video of the commercial released by Apple on 22nd January 1984, during the Third Quarter of Super Bowl XVIII. Note: Freedom is expected from IBM, not Microsoft. One of the greatest ads ever made by Apple.
2. 1997: ‘Crazy round pegs in square holes’: Think Different campaign. With the 2nd homecoming of Jobs, this is considered to be the advert which turned Apple Inc. around. Richard Dreyfuss gave the voiceover which was magical.
Here’s the original text from the ad:
“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. – Apple Inc.”
Winner of 1998 Emmy Award for Best Commercial and the 2000 Grand Effie Award for most effective campaign in America.
3. Picasso ad: Well, I believe he drew a woman’s breast. Hmmmmmmm…. didn’t see that coming. Strange but yes, think different.
4. Ali at his peak ad: Muhammad Ali asks you to be different. Can you ignore him? One of the best ads from Apple Inc.
5. Kevin Costner in Lisa ad: Apple Lisa was a 1980s project at Apple Inc. Spearheaded by Jobs himself, it was one of the first prototypes having a GUI. Unfortunately, owing to politics at Apple, Jobs was forced to move from that project in 1982 to one which was to become the future of computing/consumer electronics today, Macintosh (Mac computers). Here’s one of the very initial ads of Lisa computers that still exists today, starring Kevin Costner.
6. They Have a Mac ad: Father and son struggling on a PC. Kid says, “dad, they have a mac!”
7. Internet ad: What would you do to CHANGE THE WORLD? You don’t need to go to Bolivia to start a revolution there like Che, but you can start by thinking a bit different. Save water, save electricity, and yes, be good to people.
8. Drunk Jeff Goldblum ad: Another sensational ad from Apple Inc. Gathered much support and excellent reception from critics as well. Check this out!
9. Ellen Feis ad: This virtually unknown 14-year old with druggy eyes and looking like a junkie who’s just done a shot, Apple picked her up and made this advert. Yes, she wasn’t on drugs but under medication for an allergy. The ad went on to become a cult hit, and still considered as one of the best Apple adverts ever. You can read more about Ellen here.
10. Mac Vs PC Commercial series: Apple Inc. came out with a series of adverts wherein they hired mostly stars/actors/comedy stand up characters for their ads. Result was a series of very successful adverts from Apple targeted to consumers in the US and worldwide. Here’s just one of the very best ones: