Rumormongers have been running wild. Gonzo journalists are going amock.
Microsoft is doing in-house testing of its hybrid social networking platform – Socl. Gonna be released soon.
As of now, date(s) unknown. What this could mean – stiff competition for already existing social networks (Facebook & Google+ namely), higher the number of registered users on this platform – greater the number of impressions, and thus, greater the opportunities for CPM advertisement banners for Advertisers/Publishers, and definitely – a new place to hang-out for people who are comfy with Microsoft products. Am sure the platform would have the following features:
- Would be seamlessly integrated with MSN messenger & middle-tier software.
- Would provide a place to share content, pictures, media files, general chatting.
- Would let people store content on the Azure Cloud.
- Would either be free till a certain amount of content uploading (say, 1GB per user), or Premium packs for commercial users/companies wishing to advertise on the platform.
- Would be closely integrated with MSN Ad Center platform.
- Would be seamlessly integrated with Social Gaming platform(s). My best bet is Microsoft may acquire Zynga soon.
- Last and not the least – seamless integration of Social commerce (or f-commerce features like virtual currency monetization etc).
Till we get a sneak peek officially, lets hope Microsoft Socl.com does bring something else to the table.
*Images from: Cdn.slashgear.com